Wednesday, November 20, 2013

BE YOU


When I went to Oak Ridge High School, it was 90% middle/upper class white kids who thought they knew everything. Your typical high school stereotypes existed, fights broke out in the cafeteria, and everyone seemed to be trying to prove they were the coolest. There was no sense of acceptance and caring for others on campus. ORHS was just a bunch of hormone enraged teens stealing their parents alcohol and talking back to teachers. It wasn't pretty. The Art Media Production group at ORHS (this didn't even exist when I went there) posted a video yesterday that has gone viral, and I'm completely blown away. While i'm too old to recognize any faces in the video, I do recognize the campus. To see such a beautiful production done by students at my high school actually gives me hope for future generations to come. The writer and narrator of this video is absolutely brilliant. This video is a deeply honest depiction of the expectations that males and females feel they have to live up to in life. My favorite part of this all is when he says "40 trillion cells of human potential, perfectly designed for action, a full-blown walking chemical reaction. You're meant to live, to live to the full until you die and maybe after, so don't live a life of stereotypical indecency and don't just get by when you can be the change you wish to see." I applaud yall. I hope to continue to see such positivity and growth coming from ORHS. Go Trojans.

No comments:

Post a Comment