Sunday, October 23, 2011

Your Own Best Friend

As I've grown up, I've learned a lot of valuable life lessons. However, there is a certain lesson I've acquired over the years that I think a lot of people don't realize is one of the most important lessons you will ever learn in your life: being your own best friend. I have hundreds, maybe nearly thousands of friends after college, and those few friends I could call family. I have a few girls I can call my closest friends, and those girls who I'm sure will be my bridesmaid someday, but my best friend you may ask? Myself. There will be so many people who let you down in life, relationships that will grow and relationships that will fizzle out, and hard times and good times. Sure you'll have family and friends there for you, but at the end of the day, you really truly only have yourself. You're the one person who has been there all along. So stick up for that person and learn to love that person more than you've loved anything else in your life.

My roommate the other day goes "I want whatever pill it is Jessica is taking because she is always laughing, singing and happy in her room." It is true. I have a blast with myself, and if some people think I'm weird for it, it's because they haven't gotten to know who they truly are on the level I have. Accepting yourself is one of the greatest things you can do in your life. Sure, I have my days where I'm cranky or something doesn't go my way; but that is where being your own best friend is the best. You have the confidence in yourself to say "Hey Jess, stop being a baby, pick yourself up, and keep going." It is hard in our society today with endless amounts of people telling you right form wrong or what to do. Ignore them and just be natural. Accept yourself. Once you do this, you'll realize none of the stupid bullshit really matters.








"The best day of your life is the one in which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours- it is an amazing journey and you alone are responsible for the quality of it." - Bob Moawad

No comments:

Post a Comment