Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Daily Advice: Slow Down


I've always considered myself an "old soul." I'd rather drink a great bottle of wine, listen to some old records, and enjoy great conversation with people I care about, then go rage hard at a club playing dubstep with slimey guys trying to grind their half chubs against my back...so not romantic. I grew up listening to Billie Holiday, Sinatra, Louise Armstrong, Johnny Cash, Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Perry Como, Nat King Cole, and all the other classics. My grandfather used to play their records and dance with me in the living room and always tell me about how "these were the good times." I'd look at my grandparents who met in elementary school and were married for 60+ years and wonder how they did it. They could just sit there together, listen to a record, and enjoy their time together. They lived in my neighborhood and sometimes I'd see them walking (very slowly) through the neighborhood just holding hands. The rest of the world would be flashing and rushing by them but they were just very...content. You just don't see that anymore.

I'm all about excitement and always trying something new. However, since I moved to Dallas I've become very accustomed to this fast paced lifestyle of always having plans Monday-Sunday whether it's a concert, sporting event, dinners, grabbing drinks, taking clients out, happy hour, etc. I haven't really had a second to just slow down, and this hit me last night. I had the option of going to a "pre Byron Nelson" party last night and I realized I just needed to chill the hell out and be alone. I went to the grocery store, came home and lit some candles, poured myself a glass of wine, made some dinner, and played some Billie Holiday. Call me cheesy, but I hadn't felt that relaxed in a long time. I think we could each add a few years to our lives if we listened to more classic music and just slowed down.

We live in a very fast paced world that needs everything NOW. We have mobile phones with apps to make things quicker for us, we drive cars with GPS systems to get us where we need to go faster, we've stopped cooking dinner at home and pick up food at the best to go place around, all so we can fit more of what's so "important" in our lives into 24 hours. I'm guilty of it all. Granted, being out of college and working will do that to you. We just don't have as much time in our day anymore. But if we could all just remember at least once a week to slow down and enjoy the little things, I think we'd realize just how important those "little things" truly are.

Check out my spotify playlist of all the classics that I love. 

1 comment: