Monday, December 30, 2013

What I Learned In 2013


The beginning of last year this time, I was 5 seconds away from having my first full blown panic attack. I knew when I went back to school in January after Christmas break, it would be my last semester of college and that dreadful 3 letter word (JOB) was hanging over my head. The first lesson I learned in 2013 was that a lot can happen in a month. By March I had accepted a job offer from CBS Radio in Dallas and in May I was semi-tipsy and semi-emotional (let's be honest--VERY emotional) walking across the stage at my TCU graduation. The second lesson I learned in 2013 was not to drink champagne at 11 in the afternoon if you're going to be sitting in an auditorium for 3+hours. By June, I had moved into my brand new apartment in Uptown Dallas, had a new roommate and started my job. The third lesson I learned in 2013 was that change can be a really great thing. By July I ended over a year relationship with an amazing person, because I just knew it wasn't right. The fourth lesson I learned in 2013 is that it is ok to be selfish when it comes to your life and your heart. "Love" should not be mediocre or something you settle for. Around the end of July I got a phone call from my father telling me that he thinks it is time to "officially let me be on my own." I didn't cry, and I didn't try my usual negotiation tactics; I agreed. I've been paying all my bills and my rent for 5 months now, and while I can't spend how I used to spend, I'm ok. Actually, i'm not just ok, I'm happy. The fifth lesson I learned in 2013 is that it feels good to be able to take care of myself on my own. I never want to have to rely on another individual for my own financial or emotional stability. Since moving to Dallas i've learned the ins and outs of the radio business, made my first sale, bought my first Christmas tree, made a lot of new friends, paid my credit card bill, danced on stage with Shwayze, partied harder than I did in college (the hangover is worse), attended several concerts, got in a fight with my roommate (we made up 5 minutes later), got into a private party with Calvin Harris DJing, gone on dates, spent way too much money, made mistakes, learned what I want and don't want, got a speeding ticket in a school zone, road tripped, skied in Lake Tahoe, saw old friends, and had a hell of a time. The sixth lesson I learned in 2013 is that growing up is not as scary as it seems, it actually can be really fun. I know reevaluating yourself after a year can seem awfully cliche, but to be able to look back over a year and recognize the self progression you've made and mistakes you never want to make again, is a beautiful thing everyone should do. While I learned a lot in 2013, I think the biggest lesson of all was I learned how to be alone. There will be good days, bad days, and even great days that make you look back and ask God how you deserved this life. If you can learn to be alone and rely on yourself, you can get through even the worst of days. So, here's to 2014, I can only hope it's half as good as 2013. Cheers friends.


And now a great song to bring you into the new year...

No comments:

Post a Comment